Hoping someone could help me identify...

makeitDecember 8, 2012


My daughter just got her first house, a 25+ year old town home. Behind the washer and drier sticking out from the wall are these two 'devices'. They appear to be connected to hot and cold water lines - Not sure what they are but considering they have corrosion and are probably as old as the home, would like to replace them. Any help / suggestions appreciated.

All the best,


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Check out "water hammer arrestor" on Google and Youtube.
Most water flow valves inside washers tend to close much more abruptly than any other fixture in a home and would be a prime source to produce water hammer.

    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 3:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh yes... Many thianks -


    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 4:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yee gads those are old. Sioux Chief has some nice 5" vertical water hammer arresters-sold at Lowes.

    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:50AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™