HELP- Putting up a covered porch

jennybogApril 14, 2012

We are putting on a covered back porch on the back of a old new england farm house. It will be open on 2 sides the other two sides will be one on the back of a cape and the side will be attached to another antique cape.My ?'s- we have vinyl siding at the moment on both. We are going to clap board both down the road. Should we do this area before we put porch on?

Also there is a door we would like to remove should we do it now or could we wait until later if we put clap on.Also we would like a door put on in a differant location coming out of the side cape. Now or later.Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Without a better description and/or pictures and some sort of details no one will be able to answer those questions.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 4:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dilly_ny

I am a bit confused about what you are saying. Is it actually three separate structures you are trying to join with a porch?

I'm not a pro, and have no construction experience, but I just added a covered porch on the back of my cape. It abutts the house on 2 sides and is open on 2 sides. We did our siding at the same time. Our house also has brick on part of the downstairs. My GC recommended we cut the brick for a larger door before we installed the Ipe deck boards. Reason being, the brick could scratch the decking.

I think you can change doors when you do the siding if its clap. We used hardie board in light grey with white trim. Looks great with the Ipe.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
Ipe deck with wood boring insect holes
Had a deck built of Ipe about a year ago in the Bay...
sigepsb1
Sponsored Products
Blue/Green Outdoor Area Rug (6'7 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
5' Red Cedar American Classic Glider
Fifthroom.com
Textured Black Outdoor Wall 3-Light
PLFixtures
Area Rug: Home & Porch Chatham County Mocha 2' x 3'
$49.97 | Home Depot
Steam Spa Royal Package for Steam Spa 4.5kW Steam Generators in Oil Rubbed Bronz
Beyond Stores
A & L Furniture 2-ft. Traditional English Poly Recycled Plastic Swing Chair - 93
$319.98 | Hayneedle
Reef Outdoor Pendant by Hinkley Lighting
$239.00 | Lumens
Somerset Outdoor Lounge Chair with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™