Will rebar rust if waterline tile is missing?

strikingvikingApril 4, 2012

For reasons of poor installation, my waterline pool tile on one half of our new pool, fell off after six months. We have been in litigation for a year until the contractors board found in our favor and ordered the contractor to pay for repairs. Unfortunately, this process has taken a year so we are concerned that chemically treated pool water has saturated or sufficiently leaked down through the gunite and possibly corroded the rebar.

If so, what would the problem be then? Would a stain leak back through the pebble tech?

Would there be structural issues?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

What was the PSI of the gunite used? How thick are the walls, floor, and bond beam?

Generally, rebar is far enough away from the water's face that it is pretty well encased and encapsulated so it doesn't have any issues with the water.

The purpose of the rebar is to prevent the shell from expanding out and to maintain its shape along the perimeter.

If you don't see any cracking in the gunite/shotcrete, particularly vertical cracks, you are usually fine.

Pool water is normally near a neutral pH. The levels of pool food used, i.e. dense ash, baking soda, chlorine, calcium... would not accelerate any corrosion beyond it's normal amounts.

Are you seeing any additional issues?

Scott

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 4:54PM
neilaz

Water leaks though the grout to the pool shell also on every pool so i would think you would be ok.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 9:45AM
poolguynj

Most tilers put a water proof coating on before the thin set is troweled. That is what keeps most waterlines dry.

Scott

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
Putting in a pool/new backyard, opinions on all-in-one company vs
Hello, I'm looking for some info and opinions from...
CitznFish
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™