How to Replace Board in Deck with Invisible Fasteners?

kswl2April 20, 2014

Our almost four year old deck was constructed of kiln dried, planed, clear quality pine boards using tiger claw brand invisible fasteners. One-- and only one-- of the boards has split and is trying to twist. We need to replace it and do not want the original deck builder to do this. He had never used the fasteners and told me very frankly that if anything went wrong it couldn't be fixed. Is that true? I understand how the fasteners work, but isn't it possible to pull one board out and replace it with screws? Unfortunately this board is right in the middle if the deck. Has anyone had experience with replacing a board in a deck constructed this way? Thanks in advance for your replies and experience!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

4th video down, very easy Google search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger Claw Installation Videos

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 9:13AM
kswl2

Thank you millworkman, I am embarrassed that I did not even google for a video, but the deck contractor seemed so sure that it couldn't be done that I was hoping for anecdotes from people who had come up with a way to repair it on their own.

I am relieved to know that it can be done and thank you VERY much for your help.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 2:43PM
kswl2

Follow up and a shout out to Millworkman: our handy guy came down and followed the instructions in the video and the twisted board is now a dim memory!

Again, appreciate your help. These deck boards were $36 each (kiln dried, clear, planed on all sides) so we did not want to experiment and the original deck builder was unwilling to even try to replace the board.

Many thanks to Millworkman!

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™