Something translucent: Lexan, plexiglass, marine glass?

yizzungMarch 2, 2010

I'm building a new deck that will be approximately 8 feet high. I need to figure out a creative way to allow some natural light to penetrate below.

I have seen some folks recommend lexan planks. I have not priced these but if they are strong enough to walk on, reasonably easy to work with (e.g. drill holes, cut with a power saw, etc.) and doesn't cost a fortune, then this could be a good solution. I suppose I could sandblast the top for texture (doesn't need to be clear).

I found some interesting products called "marine prisms" or "deck prisms" that people used to install in 18th century sailing ships. Big blocks of glass that channel light to dark spaces below. Strong enough to walk on. Some of them have brass rings, which look pretty cool. Kind of expensive.

Any other ideas? I thought about maybe using light tubes (aka sun pipes, sun scopes, solar light pipes, or daylight pipes). Problem here is that they protrude above the surface of the deck.

Any other creative ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Sundance supply sells a lexann sheet with a two part chanell system that works well. I have used their product on several projects with good results. The white color still lets in light and reflects the sun well. J.

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yizzung

Thanks. Will check it out.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Low deck and sleepers
I am installing a 200sq foot deck using reclaimed ironwood...
colingalloway
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™