Costco toilet paper

booboo60December 17, 2007

Just curious if anyone has heard of problems due to Costco toilet paper in their septic tank? My son was having problems with his indoor plumbing yesterday and after removing the lid to the septic tank he noticed alot of toilet paper clogging up the pipe going into the tank. He was able to "free it up" and now has no problems. He said someone told him Costco toilet paper(Kirkland brand) does not "break down" very good and to use another brand of TP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

ALL TP breaksdown in water. the softer the TP, the quicker it breaks down though. if the clog was at the inlet to the tank, it sounds like someone just used too much. if it was clogging the outlet, he should have installed a baffle to prevent it.

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 1:33PM
sparky823

Had the same problem with Charmin. Then was telling a friend and he said they had the same trouble with Charmin. Also talked to a septic guy and he said that he had pumped them out for people that said they used Charmin and he said it still had a lot of paper that had never dissolved/

Best I have found is Angel Soft or Scott for falling apart quickly when flushing. Just stay away from Charmin(and Costco)?.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 12:40AM
bus_driver

I too believe that the problem is the habits of the users of the system rather than the toilet tissue. If this was a real problem, discussion would be more widespread and frequent.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 7:20AM
jeffrow

I had an issue on my boat with costco tp.... plugged up my vacuflush several times. I did a "scientific" test using bowls of water and a single square swirled with my finger in each bowl. The costco and the more expensive charmin stayed together like glue. The best was cheap single ply Ralphs house brand. Pretty much exploded into tiny pieces when swirled in water.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 10:01AM
gkk2001

The Costco Kirkland brand does not break down as quickly, thats a certainty as many have commented, with accurate perception. Its called temporary wet strength. It suppose to be an advantage of a premium tissue brand. It also suppose to break down shortly after using it.
Angelsoft is a good alternative, there is no wet strength component in it.

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
questionoftheday
PEX... Is a manifold necessary?
Getting ready to build a house and currently talking...
rmverb
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
smudgecat99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™