what's wrong with pressure treated pine?

scrappy25March 12, 2013

We've had a PT pine deck for 18 years, have it cleaned and retreated every other year (average $400 every other year, total $3600 maintenance over that 18 years). We are planning an addition and need to take down this old deck and build a new one. The contractor said that composite decking would be 4x the cost of PT pine. My original deck 18 years ago was $6400 cost. My maintenance costs are only 60 percent of the original cost of the deck over the lifespan. So why should I go for composite decking if I have been happy with the PT pine? It does get a little ratty by the 2nd year but the maintenance cleaning and upkeep seems to bring it back to life.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

There is nothing "wrong" with using pressure treated pine. It can be aesthetically not pleasing without upkeep and maintenance, but you seem to be fine with that so no reason you cannot use the same type material again. I would suggest just making sure the top decking is a Premium or at least No. 1 grade.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 8:35AM
scrappy25

thanks millworkman. I did a search on it in this forum and there is very little, doesn't seem like anyone uses PT pine anymore, yet the composites still seem to need maintenance. . I am fortunate that I have had the same company all these years doing the maintenance so that the effort is minimal on my part.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 11:08AM
weedyacres

There's not much on these forums because GW users tend to be above-average in their spending on home projects. PT is a perfectly good option for decks if you are comfortable with the aesthetics and the maintenance.

I built a garapa deck, and it requires maintenance too. It's worth it to me because it's gorgeous, and we needed to match the style/price range of our house. But PT is a perfectly good decking material.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 8:28AM
aidan_m

It all depends on the source of the lumber.

I usually ask for no.1 select structural pressure treated, and buy through my ordinary supplier.

For anything that will contact the earth, you should get PT with a minimum of 0.40 pcf of chemical treatment. Look at the tag on the end of the board, it will tell you the type of chemical and the quantity used in pounds per cubic foot. (pcf)

Also, while you're looking at the end of the board, is a good time to select wood cut from trees with tighter growth rings. Large growth rings equal low quality lumber.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 2:42PM
scrappy25

thanks everyone for the advice, I'll make sure we get no 1 select and ask for the tighter growth rings!

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™