can you buy pre-made stair railings?

nadine33April 15, 2008

In our dilemma of what to do about our stairs, we really wnat to replace our metal railing with a nice wood one. We don't really have the tools to build one. Is something like this available pre-made? It's just a straight section. I was going to look for a local handyman, but it's a pretty small job.

Here's what we're replacing...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

You sure can buy pre-made. Here's one supplier. I'd steer you to your local old fashioned lumber yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: LJ Smith

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 11:50AM
sweeby

You know, you could paint the railing black or bronze, then ADD a wooden hand rail across the top, maybe some wood on the bottom too, and you'd get a very upscale iron & wood look for a very moderate price.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 11:58AM
nadine33

don't know if you can tell in the pic..the reason we're looking to replace it, is because the piece "connected" to the wall isn't connected anymore. There is no rosette piece there and I gues years of holding onto it have caused the bolt to completely pull free of the wall...actually it's made a nice hole in the wall. SO at the very least we need to remove it, fix the wall and get a better way of anchoring it in to the wall. This has been painted and I know you can't tell in the pic but it looks kind of cruddy. The paint job wasn't done very well. I didn't see any pre-made full sections at that website, just newels and balusters.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 12:17PM
nadine33

If we did want to add wood to the top, what do we do about the curved handle part?

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 12:29PM
rucnmom

LJ Smith will have all the components you will need. However, our local lumber place has had issues will their product not lining up properly. For that reason, we are going with Crown Heritage. CH seems to have a wider variety of styles as well. We are just about to embark on this project as well. We are ripping out the builder's selection -- every house in the neighborhood has the same thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crown Heritage

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 1:52PM
sweeby

If you do go with a wooden handrail up top, I'd get a finished wooden end and cut off the metal right after the last post. Kill the curl...

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 3:53PM
sarschlos_remodeler

You might need to make sure that your wrought iron railings are up to code (how tall and how far apart are the balusters).

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 4:30PM
patser

Nadine, Fine the components you like and then have the handyman assemble it....fixing the wall as part of the project.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 8:05PM
nadine33

Yeah...I think this job is a bit too much. Maybe if we had all the tools handy, but since we still have TONS of other work to do. I'm going to check Angies list, but anyone have recommendations on how to find a good handman...especially for a job as small as this?

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
House of Cards - Table Lamps
Not wanting to hijack Ann's thread (Perception), I'm...
maddielee
Dining room chandelier selection, please help!
Hi everyone, I need to pull my dining room together...
aboxofcrayons
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Update on mcm landscaping - slow but sure progress
The concrete patios are in, but still curing. They...
rockybird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™