Pressure Regulating Valve

rusty_2010_gardenerDecember 15, 2012

I have to replace an existing Pressure Regulating Valve, a Honeywell Braukmann old D06 1". This valve new part number is DS05. Please explain the following plumbing terms:

single union fitting sweat
single union fitting threaded NPT
double union fitting sweat
double union fitting threaded NPT

Thank you for any assistance provided.

Mario Fernandez

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can have a union connection on one side or both of the pressure reducer. If only on one side, the other would be directly threaded or soldered (sweated) to the connectiong pipe or fitting.
The below picture shows an example of a union.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumbing Fittings

    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 9:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


Thank you for your help. So a single union fitting would be a valve that has what you show on this picture on one side (INLET) which could be threaded or sweated and no union on the other side(OUTLET) just the valve threads. I hope I am right.



    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My first question would be why are you changing the valve?

    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The reason that I asked the previous question is that far too often homeowners change out the entire valve when all they really needed to do is clean the internal sediment screens.

Now I am sure that many will say they don't have screens but that is not true,,,,Code requires a sediment screen on the input side of a PRV.

    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 1:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

On mine, the union fitting is on the OUTLET side. I don't know if they come the other way.

    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 4:10PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
Sponsored Products
Bocci | 28sc Wall Sconce
$495.00 | YLighting
Twin Exposed Shower System - Rigid Riser Kit, Head & Handset Diverter
Hudson Reed
Bathroom Mat - Teak - Skagerak
$169.00 | HORNE
Stainless Steel Rain Shower Head
Keyser Leather Rocking Chair - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Automatic Portable Air Compressor
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™