Deck Designs

lniaMarch 15, 2014

Hello,
We are about to embark on getting our deck built, finally. Below are some designs we are considering. Does anyone have any thoughts that would help lean us toward one design over another. We are limited to about 16 feet In width due to daylight windows, but are considering an angle above the window to allow us to extend the deck to 19/20 feet. Does the angle seem ok? We are also debating the stairs going down in the middle, towards the garage area of the house, or directly down towards the backyard, or towards the house. The towards the house option is probably my least favorite, but I think it blocks the sunlight coming in through the window the least. The other thing to note is that the elevation of the house is about five feet on one side and about 3 feet on the side of the stairs.

Appreciate any ideas, suggestions you may have to share.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I see nothing wrong with the 1st and 3rd option but I would play with the design of the stairs. Check out the link below which shows what others have done.
Definitely make the deck as large as you can since you'll be surprised how much room chairs/tables/misc take up. Also, I would not clip off the corners as you show in the 1st option.

Here is a link that might be useful: decks and stairs

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 10:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

I'm not quite understanding what you mean about the issue with the windows and the angle on the deck. Can you post a photo of the back of the house where the deck will go?

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™