Stink from Air Admittance Vent

sniffdogDecember 27, 2008

I had one of these vents attached to the sink drain in my kitchen island. A month ago, we started detecting a smell - tought it was the garbage. AFter several attemps to stop the stink I noticed the air vent up behind the sink. I put some plastic wrap on it, held in place with a rubber band, and stink went away. Saw no impact on drainage - so I took the vent out and put a threaded plug in. Fixed!

This week detected a smell coming from a butler pantry sink. Looked underneath and saw another one of these vents. Used the same approach as above and stink went away. But this time, I can see that the water drains slower. Haven't installed the permanent plug on this vent yet.

Do i need these vents? Aren't they supposed to bring a little air in to help drainage but not let smelly gas out? Why the smell all of a sudden - is that normal? Seems odd to me that both vents started emitting the smell within a month of each other.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

The vents should not emit a smell. Time to replace them with new ones. Plugging is the very wrong thing to do.

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 11:37AM
zl700

That would be sewer gas and other food rot smells. The vents are supposed to let air in but seal from letting air and stink out.

Nicknamed cheater vents, time to get new ones as the old must have warped or rotted at the gasket.

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 11:58AM
sniffdog

Thanks - I will change the vents.

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 5:59PM
davidro1

Yes, change them.

Do you have plumbing on an upper floor above this kitchen?

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 7:42PM
sniffdog

I do - but the sinks and other drains on the second floor are connected to air vents that run up to the roof. It was only these 2 sinks that had the cheater vents on them - the island sink because there is no way to vent up and the BP sink because the wall behind it does not provide an easy path to the attic.

Can someone explain what would happen if I left the cheater vents plugged forever? I plan on changing them but was curious of the downside other than slower drainage.

Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   December 28, 2008 at 8:37AM
jdplumb

Air Admittance Valves are designed to open upon negative pressure in the drainage system and close when the negative pressure is absent. If you cap them rather than replace them you run the risk of syphoning p-trap seals and allowing sewer gases to enter through the p-traps.

Bookmark   December 28, 2008 at 9:06AM
sniffdog

Thanks for the info - very helpful

Bookmark   December 28, 2008 at 2:47PM
davidro1

Forcing them to operate under positive pressure can force the seal to leak, causing premature failure. Upstairs toilets flushing = positive pressure downstairs where they are connected to the drain. Because AAV's fail eventually they are not liked by code writing regulators and plumbers with a long view of history.

HTH
-david

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 8:07AM
sniffdog

I pulled off the second AAV - made by Oatey. I guess the stink is the singal that the vent needs changing.

The house isn't quite a year old - seems odd to me that both would fail. Should I be looking for some other issue that could have caused this problem?

The second floor plumbing does not get used often - only when we have guests. We periodically go up there and flush toilets, run bath & shower heads etc to keep ptraps full.

Thanks for the help. I can't say I am fond of these AAV's but it is too late to change that so I am glad I now understand what they do.

Bookmark   December 30, 2008 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Supply lines above subfloor, what are my options?
I am installing new floating vanities in my 2nd story...
tvett
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Fleck Drain Question
I am fixing to install a Fleck 9100. I can run a drain...
rss1978
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group GLA-8775 - Dakota 2 Light Curved - Bar Wall Sconce - Cylind
$330.00 | Hayneedle
Emerald Home Castlegate 9 piece Dining Set with 6 Side Chairs + 2 Upholstered Ho
Hayneedle
Safavieh Cozy Beige Shag Rug (4' Round)
Overstock.com
Hooks Antiqued Brass Hook | 23248
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Huppe | Swan Desk Configuration 2
YLiving.com
Steelcase | Walkstation, 38-Inch Wide
YLiving.com
Safavieh Hand-hooked Chelsea Leopard White Wool Rug (4'6 x 6'6 Oval)
Overstock.com
Campania International Round Palisades Planter - Set of 2 - 5103-0502
$639.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™