proper fix for sagging concrete porch

RockportMAMarch 14, 2013

My front porch is concrete and is sagging in the middle against the house (almost 40 years old). When I called a mason about painting it he showed me that I need more than just paint. He said the proper fix is to pull off the concrete, put in the proper support underneath then put a new concrete porch top (aesthetic options available).
Separately, A hardscape/landscaper said it's fine to leave what's there, level it with sand and use some form of paver over it (essentially), significantly less money. I feel like there the later may be more of a bandaid but I want to learn and make the best choice of how to correct the situation. Please see the atteached pictures and let me know what information I should post to help gain advice for the proper repair. I plan to discuss it with more contractors but people at GardenWeb have been great with information and ideas.

Thank you in advance for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde

The slab is failing. Putting pavers over a failing slab is adding more weight to a failing slab, and as it continues to settle the pavers will show that settlement. Additionally you have a low spot in the concrete. Any water that doesn't run off the porch is going to sit against the house under the pavers.

Did the paver guy say he was going to remove the siding, waterproof, and flash behind the pavers? Or was he going to slap the pavers right up against the siding to help the house rot faster?

Replace the slab the right way. It sucks but you can't do what the other guy suggested.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 8:10PM
RockportMA

Thank you marcinde. I don't know if the paver guy would do the water proofing, flashing etc. But it doesn't feel right so I don't think I'll pursue it. You add good thoughts to my suspicions. Yes, I've been thinking that with the sagging, water probably hasn't been running off properly and I'm bracing myself for the "we didn't know until we got in there" regarding any rot already done from whoever takes it off - as with any project you don't know what you can't see.

Thanks Again.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:23PM
RockportMA

Thank you marcinde. I don't know if the paver guy would do the water proofing, flashing etc. But it doesn't feel right so I don't think I'll pursue it. You add good thoughts to my suspicions. Yes, I've been thinking that with the sagging, water probably hasn't been running off properly and I'm bracing myself for the "we didn't know until we got in there" regarding any rot already done from whoever takes it off - as with any project you don't know what you can't see.

Thanks Again.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™