Porch Contruction Contractor

charlieboringMarch 11, 2014

I am in Fairfax County, Virginia. We are getting ready to add a front porch to our house and are looking for a reliable, experienced, reasonably priced contractor. Any recommendations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

I agreed on a contractor. He was the highest cost, but had the best, more detailed proposal I will track the work on this forum. My objective is to get a high quality job done.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 12:35PM
aidan_m

A detailed estimate is an accurate estimate.

High quality work is only achieved through careful attention to detail.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Post any questions that may arise and we'll try to help.

What material are you using? Is it a covered porch that ties into the existing roof? Are you pulling permits yourself or is the contractor walking it through?

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 2:59PM
charlieboring

Aiden:

I decided to join a number of projects under one contract. The projects include:

1) A front porch with a gable shaped roof covered on the front with siding that matches the house siding and covered on the cieling with tongue and groove wood. It has 4 pillars with 2-foot brick bases under PVC collumns. The foundation is concrete covered with rectagular stone with the edges covered with bullnose brick. All vertical surfaces will be red brick and all horizontal surfaces blue stone except the edges that have red bullnose brick.

2) Replace shingles on entire house, since It was 25 years old.

3) Replace drive way with edges made of matching red brick.

4) New walkway with stone and brick to match porch.

5) Small brick wall on one side of the walk.

6) 12X12 shed with concrete foundation, siding to match house, 3 windows, insulation, inner pegboard walls, shingles to match house and door.

The contractor pulled the permits. I had the choice of pulling the permists and using different subcontractors at a significant savings, but I wanted to deal with one man for the entire work.

So far so good. The initial brick for the porch has been completed. Foundation underground inspection occurs today.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 1:17PM
charlieboring

The contractor that I selected is "Total Building Concepts." THe entire project should be completed this week. It began on June 24, so I am very satisfied with the rate of completion. The rock and brick work is a good quality job. The shingles look great in contrast to the brick. I will post pictures after completion.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 8:48AM
charlieboring

The job has been completed a bit ahead of schedule. Attached are the pictures of the results of the work. Anyone who wants to know the contractor, I will identify it to you. Great work.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:57AM
charlieboring

Picture # 2.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 9:59AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

It looks like he did a great job! I bet your neighbors are happy! You just increased the value of their homes.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
new aluminum decking install 2014
We have an elevated 570sqft deck about 10ft above grade....
k_rider
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
Sponsored Products
The Standard Black Pagoda Cap 14-Inch Wall Mount with Rectangle White Frosted Gl
$207.10 | Bellacor
Ivory Octagon Carmen Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$10.99 | zulily
Kichler Soria Aged Bronze Outdoor Post Mount Light
Lamps Plus
Outdoor Eucalyptus Oval Extention Table with Foldable Butterfly
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Home & Porch Desoto Linen 7' 9 in Round
Home Depot
Catalina Occasional Chair with Cushion
Cost Plus World Market
Leucos | Disk Low Voltage Recessed Lighting