best gas pool heater

sharon2975March 8, 2011

Some of you may remember me from my pool build last year. We built in Atlanta and had a NIGHTMARE of a build. Since then we have been dealing with all of the mistakes our builder made. Please be sure to get a good builder before you sign a contract.

Our latest challenge is that our 1 year old Jandy legacy heater has not been working. We had a tech out today and the burners have melted and the walls of the heater are cracked. The gas pressure is fine as it had been checked a few weeks ago and there are no obstructions to the air flow of the heater. Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this? We have a Jandy 3 year pro warranty and hope that Jandy will stand behind this. In case they do not we would like to know what company makes the best gas heaters? Our heater is 250 BTUs and our pool is 15,000 gal and we have an electric cover. We hope to resolve this so that we can just enjoy our pool. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I like the Rheem/Ray Pak (same heater, different distribution channels) as a replacement, such as in your situation.

That's a very serious failure you experienced and very unusual to boot.

The symptoms you describe sure sound like the gas flow may not have been adequate. Gas flow needs to be tested with the system in a static/off and dynamic/on state. I'd want to know how the tech determined these the dynamic on flow.

Things I'd look for would be the meter's size, the length of the run, the supply pipe size, and the length of 3/4" pipe connecting the heater's regulator to to the supply pipe.

I suppose it's possible a spider's or moth's nest hatched and baby spiders or caterpillars made webs that clogged things up for some burners. Another possible cause would be a gas regulator failure. It's rare but it happens. It's also possible a safety circuit device shorted, a rodent got in and did some damage...

There really isn't any way for us to determine it without seeing the unit and going CSI on it.

Scott

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 3:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
racket

Scott I have seen a few of these Legacy heaters at my distributor that experienced the same problem. Low gas pressure/flow can do a lot of things, but shouldn't melt the burner tray on a new heater.

How long have we seen older heaters with low gas pressure not suffer the same fate?

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™