Urine smells from the bathroom vent!!!

vchon90December 22, 2012

I recently moved to this apartment 2bed 2bath.
One of the vent in the bathroom makes this strong urine smells.
Me and my husband sniff all around the bathroom and we found out that the smell was from a vent. What makes me confuse is that it comes and goes. Sometimes it smells really bad i almost feel like throw up. Sometimes i could smell that much. I called our management and they said they are going to send contractor to video inspect. Very early in the morning the contractor guy came while i was in the bed and finished the inspect then found nothing wrong. Which was weird for me because i do not mind that he came in since i gave them a permission, weird thing is it was so quiet. There was not a sound of disabling the part of vent nothing. For the result they could not fix anything telling me that there is nothing wrong. Keep saying that i just have a sensitive nose. I opened the vent by myself and checked the fan in the vent it was full of dust i wiped it up with a tissue then i sniffed it and guess what it was urine odor. Dust smells like urine? Is that possible? Our management said that they cant do anything they said if i want to find out and fix it, they told me to hire the inspector. I know it is their responsibility to fix the problems but they wont listen to me anymore again keep saying that i am the sensitive one. What should i do? Why is this urine smells wont go away? I clean up my bathroom everyday keep it clean. Vent is on the ceiling. Pleas help me out here!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

In plumbing, the vent is a pipe that exits above the roof. Please tell us what kind of vent is involved in your situation. What does it look like, what size is it?

This post was edited by bus_driver on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 12:48

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 9:12AM
brickeyee

Are you talking about an air admittance valve (AAV, AKA 'Studor vent')?

They can be defective and leak from the pipe side to the room side 9they are supposed to allow ar to enter the pipe but NOT exit).

It should not be all that hard to replace one

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 2:30PM
homebound

Sounds like they are talking about either a ceiling register - or, if it's an old building, maybe one of those passive (no fan) bathroom vent openings that open to a common chase (or whatever you call it.)

This post was edited by homebound on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 18:57

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
smudgecat99
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™