How can I keep earthworms off my porch?

kathy_tMarch 13, 2010

I have a lovely three-season porch surrounded by a boardwalk. Two of the walls are sliding glass doors (3 doors make one wall, 2 doors the other) and the other two walls are the outside of my house. The floor is porcelain tile over concrete. Whenever we have a heavy rain, I find unwelcome earthworms on the porch. I can only guess they are coming up through the drain holes in the door rails.

My question: Does anyone know of a way to discourage these little creatures from crawling onto my tile floor? Currently, I let them dry up, then I scrape them off with with a putty knife. (Yuck!)

Thanks for your ideas! -- Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Bird feeder. J.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 5:36PM
kathy_t

Bird feeder? -- Kathy

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 11:11AM
edsacre

I think I would wet/dry vac them up before they dried.
Try plugging up the drain holes with someting that will allow water to drain like bronze wool, landscape fabric or similar. More likely they are crawling under the sliding door sills. Caulk the track at the slab. Make an effort to see how they are getting in. Take a beer or glass of wine and spend some recon time on your patio when it rains.
I thing John was thinking to attract birds that also might eat the worms. A chicken or 2 would probably have a feast & learn where to go when it rains for the treat.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 3:10PM
kathy_t

Thanks for the excellent suggeston. I will try to observe them making their entrance. (The wine will help.) I hope the solution is as easy as caulking!

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 8:22PM
deblightburn_hotmail_com

I live in a condo on the ground floor, I have an open cement patio and when it rains, the worms crawl from the grass down onto my deck, in droves. Is there anything I could do/put down to prevent this?

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 5:12PM
cruzmisl

Not much you can do about it. When the soil gets waterlogged the worms leave the soil and crawl around on the surface. Otherwise they'd drown. Lots of worms is a sign of healthy soil though so thats a plus.

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™