Is the Salt for Kinetico Water Softeners a special type?

russ14November 8, 2010

We have a Model 4040s Kinetico Reverse Osmosis Water Softener and Drinking Water system installed in our house. It is the system with the quad resin tanks and a large cleaning brine tank.

We are wondering if there is something special about the type of salt that needs to be used in the Cleaning Brine Tank for it?

All we get when we have asked Kinetico, is "talk to the dealer that installed it" - we know they can deliver it at a cost of $20/bag and 5 bag minimum, but that seems quite excessive as opposed to buying it at a Home Depot, Lowes or the like, if possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Been using store-bought Morton salt-briquets for my two Kinetico units for more than 18 years with the dealer's blessing. Just switched out one of them to four-tank unit like you have. Using same stuff...re-loaded in by the installer.

Don't worry about. You're fine. $20.00 per bag is nuts. I got five bags free with the new unit. Will not continue when used.....which will probably take two years.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 10:39PM
russ14

Thanks for the feedback, Asolo. I am presuming you are referring to Morton's "System Saver Pellets", which for anyone else near a Sam's Club, is available in 40 b. bags for $3.98 US each.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 2:07PM
asolo

Yes...that's the product.

Kinetico's cranky this way. They rule their dealers with an iron fist and refer everything to them. I've got a good one, at least. Hope you do, too. On the bright side, they make good stuff that performs and lasts. At least it has for me for almost two decades, now.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 3:48PM
andy_c

I'm not so sure about the 'iron fist' statement. Actually, they leave us alone and rarely make calls or give directions on how or what to sell. They have no influence over pricing but do insist on proper settings and ethical behavior.

Any high quality salt is recommended; avoid solar and rock salts.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 7:05PM
asolo

I yield to andy c instantly. He's in the bus. I'm not. And I've read his posts for years and have learned to respect his advice.

I should have said "So it appears to me." or something like that. All I know is every enquiry of any kind to Kinetico has always been referred down to my local dealer. To their credit, upon receiving notice of my enquiry from corporate, they have always responded directly to me with interest and expertise. Clearly somebody's paying attention. i like that.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 7:24PM
andy_c

Some dealerships, however, can be run with an iron fist as they are very independent and privately owned (except for three company stores). Prices, commissions, installations and follow up service can vary widely from one dealership to another.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™