In ground poured bath tub, need info.

drake33tMarch 26, 2014

In Ground Poured Bath Tub, Need Info.
In ground bathtub poured concrete.... have you done this and can you help?

Yes I would like some help on installing a poured concrete tub, please no stupid comments or reply's leave that for the playground, thanks.

I would like to know how to do this, I am a contractor this is for my house and I don't need to know about digging a hole or if it will drain. I've looked on the net no info that is really in depth.

What I need to know is how thick the walls should be, can I use ready mix, should I use epoxy re-bar, how should i insulate the tub.
Would it be best if i sealed the ground with Blue skin then poured the tub?
If I were to use a roll on Acrylic emulsion or another rubber coating for the inside of the tub would it provide a barrier for heat transfer to the cement, lets face it its a bath not a hot tub so I'm not worried about loss over a long period as if I were to be keeping it hot indefinitely.
Would it be best to use foam insulation on the ground before I pour?
Also I am heating my floor with heating cable could I use this in the tub also? I know its electric though your floor gets wet and if you were standing there same result if there were a problem, that's also why theirs a GFI installed.

My tub will be a 5' corner in ground, 2' deep with a step down and a seat, the sides of the tub will extend 6" above the floor.
The ground is solid clay so I'm thinking this is an amazing base to put a tub in, now I know why my 110 year old home has never shifted.

I would appreciate any useful information on this as I would like to get going asap!!

Thanks Drake

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
just-a-pb

Honestly I would call a local pool builder. You are basically wanting a indoor spa.
12 on 12 #3 rebar, with 4 bars at the top and a little thicker 12", and 6 to 8" of concrete/shotcrete in the walls.
You can insulate under it, but remember that is a lot of weight, and insulation could crush over time causing it to move. Not really necessary. Running heat strips in the pour sounds like a reasonable idea.
Unless water table is high or something don't see sealing exterior. Seal interior well and probably tile it, just like you would do any wet location.
Again, call a PB, they could hook you up.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™