In ground poured bath tub, need info.

drake33tMarch 26, 2014

In Ground Poured Bath Tub, Need Info.
In ground bathtub poured concrete.... have you done this and can you help?

Yes I would like some help on installing a poured concrete tub, please no stupid comments or reply's leave that for the playground, thanks.

I would like to know how to do this, I am a contractor this is for my house and I don't need to know about digging a hole or if it will drain. I've looked on the net no info that is really in depth.

What I need to know is how thick the walls should be, can I use ready mix, should I use epoxy re-bar, how should i insulate the tub.
Would it be best if i sealed the ground with Blue skin then poured the tub?
If I were to use a roll on Acrylic emulsion or another rubber coating for the inside of the tub would it provide a barrier for heat transfer to the cement, lets face it its a bath not a hot tub so I'm not worried about loss over a long period as if I were to be keeping it hot indefinitely.
Would it be best to use foam insulation on the ground before I pour?
Also I am heating my floor with heating cable could I use this in the tub also? I know its electric though your floor gets wet and if you were standing there same result if there were a problem, that's also why theirs a GFI installed.

My tub will be a 5' corner in ground, 2' deep with a step down and a seat, the sides of the tub will extend 6" above the floor.
The ground is solid clay so I'm thinking this is an amazing base to put a tub in, now I know why my 110 year old home has never shifted.

I would appreciate any useful information on this as I would like to get going asap!!

Thanks Drake

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
just-a-pb

Honestly I would call a local pool builder. You are basically wanting a indoor spa.
12 on 12 #3 rebar, with 4 bars at the top and a little thicker 12", and 6 to 8" of concrete/shotcrete in the walls.
You can insulate under it, but remember that is a lot of weight, and insulation could crush over time causing it to move. Not really necessary. Running heat strips in the pour sounds like a reasonable idea.
Unless water table is high or something don't see sealing exterior. Seal interior well and probably tile it, just like you would do any wet location.
Again, call a PB, they could hook you up.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
Sponsored Products
Elkay Kitchen Lustertone Top Mount Stainless Steel 17x22x10 3-Hole Single Bowl
Home Depot
Phantom 30 Inch Bowl by WPT Design
$1,355.75 | Lumens
Auberge Monogrammed Bath Towel - WHITE (F)
$45.00 | Horchow
Dublin Arbor
Grandin Road
1/2" Brass Pipe Cap
Signature Hardware
Resort Contour Bath Rug
$39.95 | FRONTGATE
Holtkoetter | G-5701 Glass
$248.00 | YLighting
1-Light Wall / Bath Sconce Antique Bronze
PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for: