Help selecting tile for floor

JnJ2013March 8, 2013

Hello! I have been lurking for a while and you are all very helpful. I now need to ask for your help in deciding on the flooring for our kitchen.
We have honey oak cabinets (we are keeping them) and granite counter tops that I think is Mascarello or something very similar. I don't know if we should go with a darker tile or a lighter tile. I have included some pictures of our kitchen and the granite. Can anyone offer any advice on tile selection that will look good with the cabinet color and the granite? As you can see we have decorated with a Tuscany/wine theme. I have found a brown tile- Antares Brown that looks very nice but it is a very shiny tile and I am not sure about the surface being too slippery. I have also found a light sand/tan tile that goes with the tan/cream color in the granite. I don't know if going all brown would make the kitchen look too small and dark or if the dark contrast will look better than a light tile. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
localeater

I think the dark brown tile looks very nice and really grounds the space. The light tile seems much to matchy with all your wood. Regarding your concern that it might be too slippery, there are tons of dark brown tiles I am sure you can find one that is similar and less slippery.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 3:51PM
JnJ2013

The first picture here is the tan tile in the same spot as the dark brown one and the second one is a gray tile. The tan tile in my first post is not the one we are thinking about. I agree that it is too matchy. I didn't even think about it being in the pictures. :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 4:11PM
blondelle

I don't think the darker one is the right tone for your kitchen and the other looks too gold. This tile would be stunning in your kitchen. It's Cotto Americana. I would either use an 18" tile or a pattern with an 18", 12" and 6". This is the Sand color. There's also a red that matches perfectly but it's too much red and too warm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotto Americana

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 7:31PM
blondelle

Here are the colors...

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 7:37PM
JnJ2013

Thanks for the suggestion on Cotto Americana. I am going to see if I can get a sample to see how it works. I would love to find something, this is a very hard process and I am so not good at picturing what will work.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:28AM
realism

I think any tile will look better if you update the cabinets a bit. You don't have to replace them, but paint or stain/gel stain them. The honey oak cabinets look dated and putting new granite on top and a new floor down just makes them look more dated.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
Faucet for kitchen remodel
I am having trouble finding the right faucet to go...
kathy6421
Why is a backsplash so hard to choose?
Got the counters in place today...love my Taj Mahal...
ssg7741
Help! Removing stains on granite
I am hoping that somebody here can help with this because...
kellienoelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™