Best Way to Clean Calcium Deposits off Tile and Grout

concreteholeMarch 28, 2008

We went with a dark tile and grout and over the winter I have had calcium build up under the sheer-decent, spa waterway, and around the water line where it was raised by the rains.

I searched this board and saw white vinegar was suggested several times and I found it worked well on the light calcium build ups but on the heavy white areas it could not cut through.

I am wondering what the pros use to clean tile and grout? I heard something about vinegar and salt mixture but I have no idea. There are commerical products like CLR. Also, I don't want to scratch so do I use a soft sponge or something with a little rougher surface such as the back of a scotch-brite sponge.

I am hoping someone out there has the magic solution!

Thanks for any replies and everyone have a great pool season!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gk5040

You need to be extremely careful, but you can dilute a small amount of muratic acid and water. We have a dark tile and grout and I have a small amount of calcium build up. When I have to add acid, I reserve a small amount and apply it with a tooth brush...then IMMEDIATELY rinse it off with pool water. I only let it sit on the grout for seconds. But it works. Be careful of your eyes and skin!!!

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 10:19PM
cliff_s

The only way to clean off the calcium deposits is to hire a company that does glass bead blasting. The glass beads are under air pressure and they literally blast off the calcium and leave the tile untouched. A couple of years ago I was quoted $3.00 a linear foot for cleaning.

Cliff s

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 11:10PM
tommyw

The glass bead blasting is terrific. However, the cost in my area is prohibitive so ... I bought my own small unit that works with my existing air compressor. For a total of $145 I can now do it myself.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 4:12PM
racket

Bead blasting also makes a huge mess.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 7:15PM
repair_guy

I did blasting for awhile and it's really not too expensive for the finished product. It is very messy but if done by a reputable company, it looks great. Try to find a TileSavers franchise in your area. They are decent.

Some have now gone to an epsom salt process that does absolutely no damage to the tile which is common for beads and it's only slightly more expensive.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
christyinco
Need advice on 48 refrigerator remodeling my kitchen
What 48 refrigerator built in looks and performs best...
mercedes316
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™