Mansfield Toilet Valve?

yogacatNovember 5, 2010

My rather old toilet was continuing to run when flushed. I thought the fix was easy. The previous owner used a paperclip instead of a chain with the trip level. Upon closer inspection, it's more complicated. I've never seen innards like these. The toilet doesn't have a normal flapper. It has a completely different kind of assembly that appears to the be a Mansfield toilet valve with a horn and bell. When the horn and bell are lifted, even with a chain instead of the balky paperclip, the mechanism doesn't drop back into place as it should after the water flows into the bowl. Is there some way to fix this? If not do I need to head off to the plumbing supply shop to find obscure fittings and have fun learning how to replace them or can I tear out this stuff and replace it with the common flapper type of assembly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Post a picture of the valve.

It sounds like an old vertical ball type system.

Check to see if the guides for the wire holding the ball are clean and smooth, and it the wire attached to the ball is also clean,smooth, & straight.

If worse comes to worse you could just replace the whole thing (requires tank removal though).

    Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's definitely not the old vertical ball system. I've repaired those before.

I've attached a link to a sketch of the Mansfield toilet valve. I can't find anything that's binding, so I suspect that a fine layer of mineral deposits is making the valve sticky. I'll just replace the puppy and be done with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sketch of a Mansfield toilet valve

    Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 2:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
Sponsored Products
Yellow Thermoplastic Resins Toilet Brush Holder
Stilhaus by Nameeks SL11 Toilet Paper Holder - STILHAUS SL11-08
$92.40 | Hayneedle
Luther Two-Piece Elongated Toilet - ADA Compliant
Signature Hardware
Brushed Nickel Free Standing Toilet Brush
KOHLER Toilets Memoirs Classic 2-Piece Elongated Toilet in Ice Grey 3986-RA-95
Home Depot
Vitra by Nameeks Matrix Toilet - VITRA 5139-003-0075
$808.90 | Hayneedle
KOHLER Toilet Tanks Devonshire 1.28 GPF Toilet Tank Only in Thunder Grey
Home Depot
Lavender Ceramic Pottery Round Toilet Brush Holder in Assorted Colors
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™