BEST Flooring Choice for 3 Season Porch in Southern Maine

clagaFebruary 9, 2014

Hi,
We have a small seasonal home which is open May 1st to October 31st near the southern Maine seacoast. We are looking for flooring suggestions for a covered 3 season porch. A liitle information about the exhisting porch; it has a roof, combination window panels for walls, and 5/4 inch pressure treated wood for flooing over a crawl space. The crawl space walls are approximately 2 feet tall and the floor of the crawl space in poured concrete. Our goal is too make the porch a more inviting finished space where we can add a sleep sofa for additional sleeping for guest. We are wondering if laminate is an option? If not what would be your suggestions and experience with the floorings you have used?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

In MA I used a good quality mahogany t & g. Flooring with a penofin finish. I graded the sub floor slightly to avoid standing water. I lived with it for 18 yrs and every 3-4 yrs I'd rent a big random orbital sander and gently sand & re-finish it. It was 1x4 btw. I took the 3/4" material and re-sawed it and used it on the walls too. In other than winter, it was the best room in the house. The new owners loved it from the first time they saw it. Actually, I think it sold the house. I miss it! Be aware, there are a lot of junk woods called mahogany. This was good wood. You will like it?

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™