pump slowly losing prime

sjpoolownerMarch 14, 2012

Hello.

I have an in-ground pool with IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump. A few weeks back, I noticed that one of the returns was shooting water weaker than before and couldn't feel any water coming out from the other return. And when I checked the pump basket, the water level was very low. It was below the suction pipe and I could see water coming into the basket. The pump was still pumping the water, although weakly, so I guess technically it didn't completely lose the prime.

So I tried to re-prime the pump. After several attempts, I could fill the basket like 90-95% and there were air pockets on top. (Don't know why, but I had to try several times and rev up the pump up to 3000rpm to achieve that).

A few days later, I noticed that the water level went down again. I've been checking the web and asked around and I was told to clean up the o-ring (of the pump basket) and the surfaces it contacts. I did that three days ago. The water level is like 90% now but I noticed that it went down a little bit and it still looks like air is still coming in from somewhere.

Before suspecting air leaks in other areas, I'd like to rule out the pump lid/o-ring first. During the last re-prime, I didn't put any lube to the o-ring as the user manual says not to do that because the original o-ring contains a permanent internal lubricant. But would you actually recommend putting something to make sure no leaks there? I have lithium general purpose lube. Will that work? Or should I put anything special?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjpoolowner

I forgot to mention that I see bubbles coming out of the return when the water level in the pump basket is low.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 1:39AM
poolguynj

Change the O-Ring and tighten the pump plugs.

If the leak continues, it is likely the PVC male adapter to pump housing connection in the front of the pump that needs attention.

Scott

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 4:13AM
muddy_water

Get you some Magic lube from your pool store and lube the lid gasket with it. This product can be used on any gasket on your pool equipment. As Scott said if you rule out the gasket check the connections before the pump by taking a water hose with a slow stream of water over each connection with the pump running.When the pump primes up you have found your leak/air gap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Lube

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
Almost there, infinity edge
Waiting on plaster and landscaping. Almost there......
poolmd
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™