Pool to Pond Conversion

FLBlueHouseMarch 26, 2014

Hello,

I have an empty unused pool in my backyard. It currently has a foot of dirty green water with turtles, frogs, and whatever in it. I was wondering if I just fill it up with water and introduce plants. Then wait a week before introducing fish. Or do I have to completely empty it out and prep it first before converting to a pond?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keithw

Are you planning any filtration? If not it will eventually become smelly and annoying regardless of what you put or don't put in it. But yes, if it is sunny you could wait a week and then add fish. Without filtration I would not introduce anything larger than Gambusia (Mosquito fish).

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 7:22AM
FLBlueHouse

Thanks so much for the response! I didn't realize there was a section here for ponds. Anyway, no I do not plan on using the pool's pump or filtration system. I want a completely natural pond setup. I read some of the other blogs and it doesn't seem much of an issue. I just was wondering what the opinion was of others on here.

I was reading that the Mosquito fish breed rapidly and will take over the entire pond, so I was thinking about introducing 5 Comet goldfish instead. And with the exception of many plants and manually skimming the surface of the water weekly, the only other treatment I'd would be adding a bi-monthly all-natural algae control.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 3:55PM
keithw

Mosquito fish do breed pretty rapidly but they are fairly self sustaining and they tend to level off after a certain amount of time. The first year I had them I panicked about the numbers and removed a bunch of them throughout the summer. Didn't make a difference. Then after the fist year I just stopped paying attention and about 8 years later they are no more dense then they were that first year.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
Spa motor capacitor
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
lindamarie
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™