Almost Finished - Stained cabinets/Green Granite
After almost a year, our simple "facelift" is 95% done. We need to install the backsplash on one more wall, re-install the undercabinet lighting, and touch up paint, molding, etc. It's basically done and functional, so I figured I would post it.
First of all, I would like to thank all of you here on GW. Even though I did not post much for advice, many, many of our questions were answered through the thoughtful and kind guidance given to others who had the same concerns as we did. There was a whole world of things we hadn't even thought about, and things were much easier because you all shared your knowledge and experience with us who visit this forum. THANK YOU!
The last 3 houses we have lived in had builder's kitchens with white tile countertops and golden oak (in two) and natural maple (current) cabinets. After 22+ of basically the same thing, we were ready for a change. When the white range died, we replaced it with SS and got a new SS fridge to go with it. After we got it home, DH was not happy with the look of the gray "monolith", so decided to figure out a way to enclose it.
Our natural maple cabinets had yellowed considerably, but were in good shape, so we decided to do some alterations to them, refinish, and install new doors. One set of double cabinets on the right side of the refrigerator was removed and replaced with a new single uppper and lower. The refrigerator moved over to the right and a new enclosure for fridge and cabinets above and to the left were made. We couldn't recess the fridge any further because behind the fridge is the main bearing wall, and the stairwell and pantry are behind it. The cabinet and OTR microwave above the stove were replaced with a range hood. The lower cabinets on both sides of the stove were converted to drawers and a new cabinet with a trash pullout was built for the area to the left of the dishwasher, which also extended the countertop area. New crown molding and beaded molding were added to the top and bottom of the upper cabinets, and new panels added to the end of the island.
The cabinet rework was done by a contractor. We had another contracter in to do the refinishing. To make a long story a little shorter, he really botched the job and didn't want to fix it. Luckily, we had not paid him, and he hadn't done the doors yet. DH ended up taking all the cabinets out of the kitchen and sanding them down to remove the bad finish. We then re-installed them and got another cabinet finisher to do the job.
When the finishing was done, the original cabinet builder decided he was too busy to come in and install the doors/drawers/hardware, so we agreed that DH would do it and the contractor would not receive the balance of what we owed. After that, DH decided to install the range hood and backsplash himself. If you've ever done any of this yourself, you know it always takes longer than you hope to get it done.
Anyway, we are happy with it. A whole kitchen of new cabinets wasn't in the budget, so this is the next best thing. If we ever do this again, we'll have a much better plan in place before we start.
Cabinets - existing maple with new doors/custom stain
Range - GE Cafe
Refrigerator - LG 4-door French door
Dishwasher - Kitchen Aid
Range hood - Wolf
Coutertops - Seafoam green granite
Backsplash - Honed crema marfil 3 x 6 subway tile
Sink - Kraus 60/40 SS
Faucet - Delta Leyland
Floor - existing ceramic tile
Cabinet hardware - Schaub "French Farm" knobs, "Arcadia" pulls
New fridge cabinet: