New Laundry Tub - Venting Needed?

Tom PultzNovember 27, 2010

I'm installing a large Kohler drop-in cast iron laundry tub in the main floor laundry toom and would like to know if this needs to be vented as I was under the impression that if you drain into a larger diameter pipe no extra vent is required.

The drain on the tub is 1-1/2" and that will go into a 2" 90-deg in the wall, run about 2 feet horizontial, then turn 90 and go down through the wall into the crawl space. The 2" line connects with the 3" waste/vent line for the upstairs master bath shower and WC.

This 3" line also carries waste from the main floor clothes washer. Without opening up the laundry room wall I don't know how the washer vents. It may have a vent that goes up and connects with the vent line for the master bath shower directly above.

If I need to add a vent, can I just go up vertically xx feet, then over to the assumed washer vent, which I'd guess would be about 4-5 feet horizontally away.

Thanks for any help. I'm under the UPC.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaysgarden

I believe the distance allowed between a plumbing fixture trap and the vertical vent piping depends on the diameter of the drain line not what you stated which is if you drain into a larger diamter pipe no vent is needed. That being said, I think in your case, since you have 1.5 inch on the laundry tub, the trap arm(pipe between the trap weir and the vent pipe) should not be longer than 3.5 feet(42 inches)before it reached the vent line.

Double check with your city plumbing inspector and pose the question to him/her

Bookmark   December 4, 2010 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™