First Post-Front porch post war era blah!

decoratordivaFebruary 26, 2012

Hi Everyone! I am a home decor addict. I bought this house for a steal in a great neighborhood but need some help with making it look more updated. All of the houses in the neighborhood are 1940's-50's post war era brick "bungalows." This is a bungalow where I am from. In California, it is a different type of house.

Here are some pics of before, during, after, and HELP!

I hate the light grey roof, but won't be replacing it anytime soon. I don't care for the concrete pilasters around the door, and I also am negative about the white trim. So what to do? Not a fan of brass either. Need some sharp eyes please!

First month that I had the house. Just added some plants, etc. Boring white door.

Painted the front door a warm dark grey to pull out some of the color from the brick.

Fall flowers

Detail of porch. UGLY BRASS-Ick concrete

So here are the list of things that I am pondering:

Black front door w/nickel knobs, kickplate, new porch light. Paint my $200 garage sale mail box (major steal for $10) I am stumped by the white trim and light grey roof.

I think I was on the right track with the door going grey. I am not afraid of color. Any ideas? Pics welcome. Thank you !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinan

The concrete pillar things are weird... would it be possible to paint them same color as the brick (the mid red tone) to help them blend in to the background? And yes with the grey door and roof I think the brass looks out of place and silver tones will look better. And I think I'd go with black trim!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:40PM
More Discussions
Green board for screen-in porch w/hot tub?
I have a small section of wall (less than 40 sq. ft.)...
newcharlatan
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
Gossen Passport Decking - anyone?
We are in the planning stages of removing a 25 year...
constanceann
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™