Need Help Creating an Outdoor Space

movinginvaFebruary 15, 2012

***I posted a similar question in Home Decorating***

Hello All,

This is my first time posting in the Porches and Decks area of the forums. We live on a large lot and have no porch or deck. I would like to create a nice outdoor space where I can put a bench, or chairs. I am thinking of going two different ways and would like some advice.

1. Building a wooden porch that extends from where the stairs are currently, to the end of the bay window. The bay window is 96 inches wide, so including the front door area that is currently there, the porch will be about 12feet wide.

2. I have considered doing a hadscape area where the 'garden' is currently. I am having a hard time visualizing this one. I think this option may be better since it may be quite a bit easier. My DH and I plan on doing the work ourselves.

In either of the options, will I need to add a roof or extend the current one? I am trying to stay away from having to mess with a roof since we would like to do the work ourselves and keep costs down. The area does get really good shade.

Are there other options I need to look at? Are there other things I need to consider?

Here is a pic of the front of the house. Thanks in advance for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
riles_j

Quick question. Is this the front yard or the back? It looks like a front, but just wanted to make sure.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 5:51PM
movinginva

Yes it is. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 6:44PM
riles_j

Let me preface by saying I am not a designer, but asthetically for me I think front porches need a roof over them that works well with the existing roof. You do have a roof that extends that I think you could tie into, or square off, and then frame it with some nice columns. That being said, if this were me, I would get a professional involved. Someone who could work up a sketch, to give you the vision that you need to get started. This is coming from an avid DIY'r too. Then you might be able to pick off a piece and build it yourself to save some money. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 9:32AM
movinginva

Thanks Riles J. Any thoughts on doing just a front yard patio?

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™