dual sump pumps - size of discharge pipe

dawnrNovember 17, 2011

I need dual sumps in same pit and am installing (2) 1/2 HP Zoeller or Stormpro (hand dug foundation. Big water issue. Not your usual basement). If I tie them in together, what size PVC discharge pipe in basement? Zoellers are 1 1/2 inch so would 2 inch PVC line be ok if the two are tied together? Someone recommended 2 separate discharge lines in case one gets clogged but i never had a line get clogged in basement. If you install a bigger line (3 inches), does this have any effect?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Check the output port on your sump pumps..most of them have a 2" port with a reducer that will permit connecting an 1-1/2" line. For peak efficiency they should be connected with the largest pipe size that the pump is set up for.

The standard rule of thumb is if you increase the size of a pipe by one nominal trade size you double the capacity..so if your pumps do in fact use 1-1/2" you could combine them on a 2" line.

If they will accept a 2" line then combine them on a 3" line.

Make sure you have a 1/4" per foot pitch from the highest point of the line above the pump to the point were it exits the structure.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
How long do PVC DWV pipes last?
I inherited our house that was built in 1972 and was...
Neptune Power Washing
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™