stacked cabinet construction - is there a "best" way?

happyx5March 10, 2014

I was hoping the cabinet experts can explain this to me. For stacked upper cabinets - I understand you can either stack two separate upper cabinets, or you can have one cabinet built with two doors so they appear to be stacked, but are really one.

Is one method of construction preferable (sturdier)? or does one appear more visually pleasing? I understand from reading previous posts about stacked cabinets that one box with two doors is usually more affordable. I'm wondering if there are other benefits to having truly stacked cabinets that, for me, would outweigh any extra cost.

If specifics matter these would be inset cabinets, 33" on the bottom and 15" on top, with crown, to the ceiling height of 9'.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
illinigirl

I don't know what is 'best' but we are having one cabinet box with two doors, so we can avoid a line where the two cabinet boxes would meet (were they actually two separate cabinets) on the sides of the cabinet box. I think it's a clean look.

Good luck.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Texas_Gem

I would say one box because with 2 boxes, you will lose some storage space from the top and base of each box.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Help with rough, ugly laminate counter edges
Hello, we recently put in new laminate countertops...
Elizabeth Loparco
Carrara tile backsplash with carrara countertop
I found a few images in the photos section of houzz,...
crl_
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™