Move washer vent to another existing one and abandon old?

kirsch92November 7, 2010

I am pushing a wall back in a laundry located above my garage.

I need to move the supply, drain and vent lines for what I am doing.

Currently the washer is on a 2" drain that drops down the wall between the garage and the house. It has a 1.5" vent. Nothing else is serviced by this drain and vent.

My problem is the vent. I don't wish to change where it penetrates the roof just to move it over a foot into the cavity on the left for my needs. I was going to use a short horizontal (1 foot) run to offset it, but the roof has no attic space above, so to move the pipe I would have to notch or drill a hole in the sloped 2x4 part of the truss to get it there and allow for sheetrocking..

That same cavity on the left would allow me to run the vent up into the attic of the rest of the house and use a horizontal run of about 12 feet to tie into another vent that is a 2" vent servicing the upstairs bath (1 sink, 1 toilet, 1 tub/shower combo) and the downstairs powder room ( 1sink, 1 toilet). This seems like the easiest option to me. I would glue a cap on the abandoned vent up on the roof, and fill it with foam from below. cut it off and sheet rock it over, until I could pull the entire jack out whenever I re-roof.

Are there any limits on number of fixtures tied into vents?

Anything special about a cloths washer drain and vent. I know about drain pipe height and p-trap positioning, no problems I can see there.

Or any other things I am missing?

My other option is to cut into the insulation and 45 it down inside the insulation to the new back wall (pink insulation)

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vent line with cavity I need it in on left

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
captainbob

Kirsh:
Shouldn't be a problem cutting a tee in that vent for the powder room plumbing you are describing. There are limits on the total number of fixtures on a vent, but you will never exceed those limits in a regular residential home. There is nothing special about a chothes washer vent. It can be combined with any other venting in a home.
I see on your drawing showing a laundry tub in the garage. Are you moving the clothes washer plumbing down there as well? If you are adding that laundry tub and leaving the chothes washer above, I would suggest running a vent down there for the laundry tub.--The Captain

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Water softener decision for Austin, Texas city water
I want to better protect my plumbing from wear and...
ivaniphone
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Andee
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Do Electric water heaters from plumbing supply differ from home depot
Plumbers I feel rip people off when installing electric...
buddy50
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™