experience with glass/metal deck railings???

lg_houseJanuary 18, 2011

I hope someone can help us!....We're in the process of building our comtemp/modern house and are really interested in using glass/metal railings for the deck. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, can you recommend any vendors?

Thanks in advance.

lg

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lg_house

Great pics! Is just the glass rail in pic #6 cost 28k or did the whole deck plus railings cost that price?
lg

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 8:01PM
www.thedeckbarn

the whole deck, we have to give em away in Michigan, Glass for a deck that size is about $800.00 1/4" temp
steve scholl

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 8:51PM
fnmroberts

The glass barely shows in the photo, but individaul pieces fit between the posts and is 1/4" tempered. I took measurements to a local glass shop who fabricated for me. Been over 10 years and I don't recall the cost.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 12:22PM
dooer

I have some experience with glass in wood framing. The glass is expensive and you have to keep it clean.

I had a client that worked for one of the largest commercial glass installers in the state. He was going to do his own glass railings. In the end, he decided against it, for the above reasons.

Mark

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 12:20AM
aidan_m

I agree with Barney, CRL came to mind when I first read the title to your post. Problem is, they aren't set up to deal direct. I have a reseller permit, and I think that is the only way I was able to get an account.

You might find the CR Laurence website useful for getting ideas. There are many types of hardware systems to attach glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: CRL online catalog

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 10:40PM
www.thedeckbarn

Pro built aluminum can be ordered by homeowners any where. They are a vancouver based company and ship to the US all the time. Pro built is the aluminum in the picture I posted a couple weeks ago. Cr Laurence is the only company i am aware of that does the "look" you posted in your pics
steve scholl

Bookmark   February 4, 2011 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Advice on new deck...On top of concrete, or remove concrete?
My wife and I are going to build a deck off of our...
Kyle502
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™