Anything Wrong With Two P-Traps?

candlerNovember 3, 2010

My washer has a good, regulation height 2-inch P trap. Where it connects to my primary drain line is directly across from where the laundry sink connects. The laundry sink has a 1-1/2" p-trap. When the washer is draining water comes into the laundry sink. I have enough room to put two p-traps between the laundry sink and the primary drain line. Would it help? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The drain line is partially clogged or just smaller than required for the washer.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 6:15PM
davidro1

candler do not install two P traps in a series.

If you want to change something, 1st look at the connector where the two incoming drains both face each other. There are several kinds with different names: double fixture fitting, double Wye, double Tee, double San-Tee, Cross, Baffle, and so on. Your fitting may be the wrong one. Before drawing any conclusion, post a photo of this fitting.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 7:46PM
candler

My house is a 1965 vintage. It originally had all cast iron drains but now sort of a mix with pvc. The primary kitchen drain line comes through the basement where the washer/laundry sink are It is 2"ID. The connecting washer drain and laundry sink drain is also 2" ID. You're right about the primary one being too small but that'll never change.

I don't know how to post a picture to THS and the fitting's location is pretty much blocked anyway. I went to the Home Depot site to see plumbing fittings. The cast iron primary drain line fitting that I'm talking about looks like an SxSxSxS cross.

A little of the washer drain water coming into the laundry sink has always been an irritant but that's as far as it went. Now I've bought a few used kitchen cabinets and a regular kitchen sink to put there. That changes things. My neighbor said to look at a T-valve. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 10:16AM
bus_driver

Double trapping is prohibited by the plumbing code.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™