drain noise following re-install of Insinkerator disposal

daytimeNovember 14, 2010

The disposal was moved from one drain to the other (left to right) of a double sink. It had been problem-free but just was on the wrong side for best cleanup. The work included getting bigger drain pipe as per code and replacing the filter on the nondisposal (left) side. When the glue for this work dried I noticed some new obnoxious noise from the left drain. Whenever water pours into either side of the sink the left drain makes noise.

When I told the plumber about the noise after several days he said he needed to check the air transfer gap. Would I need further expensive work or is this something that should have been taken care of under the original fee ($150 for 1/2 hour)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"...replacing the filter on the nondisposal (left) side."

Drains do not have filters.

"...check the air transfer gap."

The what?

A dishwasher air gap?

It is pretty hard to tell what was done and needs to be done from your description.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 4:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

What kind of new obnoxious noise? I'm thinking splashing/gurgling or wet sucking sounds as amoung the possible. If you can post a photo of the under-sink plumbing it might help with recommendations.
How long did you have to wait for glue to dry? It should have been near-instantaneous, and the plumber should have been able to check the quality of his work before he left.
Filter??? Air Transfer Gap???

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™