Expanding Deck Stairs: DIY or small pro job

nctalJanuary 28, 2009

I have a standard small builder deck on my house and am looking at expanding the stairs so they wrap around the wood deck to a concrete pool deck I'm adding below. Basically, I'm taking a narrow staircase and wrapping it around to make it an L-shaped staircase.

The job wouldn't appear to be all that difficult, but given that everything else will be professionally done, I wanted some opinions. Should I do it myself or find a deck guy who's willing to do such a small job?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Find a Contractor. If the work is half as thin as it is over here you wont have to wait long. J.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 8:32AM
aidan_m

If you already know how to build stairs, why hire a contractor for the rest of the deck?

(sarcasm intended)

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 11:10AM
john_hyatt

Thanks Aidan, I needed a good yuck. Something I hear all the time>>It wouldn't appear all that difficult " Naaaaaaa its not. Of course its way more difficult for a suit to jump up the numbers in the shock market then just sit back and take in the money but pay a Contractor!!!!!! Hell NO.
J.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 5:57PM
nctal

I guess what I was saying was that its an awfully small job for pros such as yourselves. You've conveyed your opinion to the contrary.

I'm going back to manipulating everyone's 401k and picking out furniture for the corporate jet.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 6:11PM
aidan_m

Hey John- hope you are surviving these days. Lost a member of my crew this week due to budget reductions.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 7:55PM
john_hyatt

Aidan Man,all three of mine are gone no way could I keep them on work is total flat line. My Girl worker is in a meat packing plant at 7 bucks hr,another is hauling scrap metal in his chevy luv, and one is sitting in the local cross bars hotel for dui. The whole thing has gone the way of the do do.
I myself am in the shop heated by a wood stove crafted out of a hot water tank fuled with all my ipe scraps warming me and the glue while I crank out tables/benches/planter boxes in fact anything I can think of and pitching them to local stores.
One good thing>> I built an $800 dog house Life Is Good!!! J.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 11:56PM
mike13

John,

I thought IPE had the same fire rating as concrete so are you really burning IPE?

Hope things pick up for you soon,

Mike

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 3:37AM
john_hyatt

Its a burn thru rating not a fireproof rating anything will burn if it gets hot enough. If ipe dident burn the natives over there would not be busy clearing out the rain forest with fire to grow cocca.

I have been biding a few latley but I am finding out the scale has been lowered way down to low ball and below. J.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 7:50AM
More Discussions
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Advice on new deck...On top of concrete, or remove concrete?
My wife and I are going to build a deck off of our...
Kyle502
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
decorative Concrete porch floor over concrete?
We poured our porch a couple of years ago, thinking...
DruidClark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™