Using Granite on spa spillway.

luvh20March 9, 2011

Has anyone used granite for the spa spillway? If you did, were there any problems later?

Our last spa had a flagstone spillway,and over time starting flaking off. But I did like how it overhung about 2 inches from the face of the spa with the water flowing off it.

I haven't seen, or don't know how it can be done, with just a tile spillway with the same overhang.

The width of the spillway is 3 feet, so granite shouldn't be a high cost.Just don't know how well it will hold up with saltwater over time.

Any thoughts, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
racket

We use granite all the time, and its a very good material for this application.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 10:46PM
c9pilot

My PB uses granite for nearly all his pools. He says a recent pool owner is trying a solid surface, but he doesn't know how that will hold up.
I've got to get my template and start shopping around for my granite soon....

Here's a link to my blog, where there's a picture of a really pretty granite spillover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Spillover

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 8:00AM
luvh20

racket: thanks for the reply,is there anything that has to be done different when attaching the granite to the spillway, or is it just the same as doing tile?

c9pilot: thanks for the info. After seeing that granite spillway, I definately want to do that.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 9:50AM
carolinagirl104

We are putting in 2 granite spillways. Our problem is getting the water to flow out from the spillway instead of going under the piece of granite. Is there a special edge that needs to be finished on the granite to help this flow.

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 8:41PM
c9pilot

Geesh, it's been a year and I don't remember what my PB said about this, but he said that the granite was cut a certain way or a certain size so that the water would spill over it right - otherwise it wouldn't sheet over (flow?) correctly. I think this is what you're talking about. I would think that any experienced PB would know how it needs to be done.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
lindamarie
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™