deck foam

meldermanMarch 19, 2011

My pb says there is no need for foam cushion between deck and bond beam. I read the opposite, so what's the deal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Sounds like you are getting a canter levered deck.

There should be a membrane between the top of the beam and the bottom of the deck. There should be expansion joints running away from the edge, either the plastic type that are usually white but come in gray and tan also, or saw cuts that are made while the cement is still green.

If you are getting poured in place coping, brick or stone coping, these should have a foam spacer between the coping and the decking if it;s concrete. After a while the foam will degrade and should be removed. THe space should be filled with some sand and then self leveling compound that is elastic in nature to seal the space between the two.

Sometimes pavers may get a similar treatment but that isn't the norm in my area.

Scott

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 4:50AM
melderman

I have flagstone coping. They're planning on pouring the deck directly against the beam and coping.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 7:51PM
poolguynj

Stop them. Fire them if you have. Be firm. There MUST be an expansion joint. The pool and the deck will expand and contract at different rates.. Without the joint in place, the coping will become unstuck. If some walks on unstuck coping, it could fall into the pool and onto someone or gouge the plaster finish.

Please see my previous post.

Your PB should know better. Shame on him.

Scott

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 8:22PM
melderman

Thanks, this board has saved me. I'm disappointed I even have to check behind my pb.
Thanks again and I will demand it.
If there's anything else that is a must do between deck and the finish I'm open. I guess I now want to know all the must do's so I can check him. I'm getting quartz plaster and salt system.
Thanks again

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 9:48PM
melderman

Thanks, this board has saved me. I'm disappointed I even have to check behind my pb.
Thanks again and I will demand it.
If there's anything else that is a must do between deck and the finish I'm open. I guess I now want to know all the must do's so I can check him. I'm getting quartz plaster and salt system.
Thanks again

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Newbie Hot Tub Owner - Questions On Chemicals
Hello, I am a first time hot tub owner and I'm in the...
gil_happy
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
How to film pool build timelapse?
I've been lurking for months & finally ready to...
Wendy Baldwin
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™