Metal grating as deck floor

ashebrookJanuary 1, 2008

Has anyone done this? Our deck will be on the north side of our house, over the only windows and door to our basement. In order to get some light to the basement, I was thinking of using metal grating. I have seen it used for landings on fire escapes, but never for a deck. Anyone have any idea where to get it or what it would cost? Also, what metal are they made out of and what maintenance would be involved?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_nwnj

My deck is a few feet above the tops of 2 heat pumps. The manufacturer recommends not covering them, and I wouldn't want all that exhaust underneath the deck anyway. Also, I had to satisfy the "permit store".

Anyway, I ordered these grates from the local distributor for
Ohio Gratings. I wanted zero maintenance, so I got aluminum. Fairly expensive. Probably other, cheaper ways to do it. To ease you into the sticker shock, I think I paid $350 for both, tax and delivery. Steel would certainly be cheaper, but maintenance issues.

Bookmark   January 1, 2008 at 4:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde

I've liked www.mcnichols.com for the grating I've needed, but unless you have a really cool, modern home I can't imagine it not looking like a waste treatment plant catwalk. Aluminum would really be your only viable option, because I don't see powder-coated steel standing up to the foot traffic, and one scratch and it could rot from the inside out.

What about a combination of standard wood (or composite) decking and spans of lexan (or similar) panels to allow light through? Do a frosted glass look, and you could light it from below at night for a pretty cool effect.

Either way, have fun at the permit office. If yours is like mine, they frown on innovation.

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
Exposed wiring in patio cover
We are building a new backyard patio cover and the...
vweidman
Please recommend finish product for reclaimed redwood deck
We are installing a redwood deck in our new build and...
honu3421
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
Sponsored Products
Pargas Silver-Plated 13 1/4" x 65" Tall Standing Mirror
Lamps Plus
Solid Wood Handwork Carving Floor Lamp with Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
Runner Rug: Candice Olson Dark Red 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Area Rug: Meredith Black 8'x 11'
Home Depot
Abba Black and White Rectangular Twin Pull Chain Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus