Choosing post and rail color for White House

jyountJanuary 12, 2014

Is it ever acceptable to use wood tone porch posts and railings on a White House? The house in question is a very small, simple farm house with white vinyl siding. It has a new grey metal roof. I'm looking for very low maintenance and cost - nobody lives in the house regularly. The few times per year we are there I don't want to spend my time cleaning the porch railings. That is my fear if I choose white. It is in a very humid area of the country and is rather shady. Sure mildew will be an issue. So how will it look if I add cedar posts and railings to a house with white vinyl siding? Will it be hideous?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zver11

A little color contrast is fine. Problem is tying in color with something else in vicinity e.g. window trim or window shutters. Would look odd if absolutely everything were white and railings/posts were different. .

Somewhat concerned about cedar. Had a deck & railings from Cedar when house purchased. Posts were so rotted that I could push bare thumb through posts. Eventually, a board gave when I stepped on it and I concluded I needed to redo the whole deck.. Cedar heartwood is rot resistant, but nearly impossible to get true heartwood( need old growth timber). Most cedar sold is neither insect nor mold resistant. You would have to stain it to protect it. In addition, cedar is relatively soft. If you want wood, it would be cheaper and longer lasting to use pressure treated wood and a cedar color staim--still needs restaining every now and then.
Vinyl railngs are also a possibility. Not sure about degree of resistance to mildew.
Aluminum railings would be extremely low maintenance and easier to install, but not achieve your wood tone.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Low deck and sleepers
I am installing a 200sq foot deck using reclaimed ironwood...
colingalloway
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™