Need installation advice for acrylic panels on top of pergola

danni_in_pdxJanuary 15, 2014

We just replaced a rotten deck with a new one (500 sq ft) with a simple pergola composed of massive cedar beams (which I love). But we live in Oregon and need it to be covered and bc it is often gray here, I want to add a 'roof' of clear plastic panels so we can be outside even when the weather is wet. I am thinking hard about 4' x 8' x1/4" clear acrylic panels. But I can't get my regular guy to install for months, and I am pretty handy and want to do it, but honestly, I can't really find instructions anywhere. I will need to screw the panels into the top of the cedar beams. I need to figure out how to raise the side closest to the house with something (silicone bumpers? do they exist?) Do I try to have all 12 panels cut to size at the source or do I try to cut on site? I've been looking here for someone who has done this and not found anything similar. I'd really appreciate pics or advice from someone who has done this: flat (ish) roof on cedar pergola. Super appreciate it. dm

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aidan_m

That stuff is really expensive. And you'll need to get the kind that is rated for UV exposure. Most folks use the thin corrugated acrylic sheets for what you're doing.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 11:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew

Danni, I'm trying to find a contractor for a pergola. Would like to know whatever you can tell me about the acrylic sheet you've found. Price?

Are plexiglass and acrylic the same?

Agree about it needing to be rated for UV exposure.

Will appreciate hearing from you.

Rosie

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™