New Pool Quotes in Houston TX

lilbluegalMarch 18, 2013

Husband and I have been getting bids for a pool in Houston.

Our lot has a (small) slope - basically when you walk out the back door, you take a 3-4 inch step down and then the back of the yard slopes back up (so the back door frame and the dirt at the back fence are about the same height). The distance from the back door to the fence is about 50 feet.

We have basically had 3 stories from the pool builders who have come out to quote us, and I just don't understand how they can be so different.
1) no comment about the slope of the yard, build pool as normal. (drains, drains, drains)
2) slope is a big deal, basically we would have to remove our existing 20 feet of paver stones and raise all of the decking to back door level (a raise of about 3-4 inches like I said)
3) put a 6 inch "retaining wall" at the back of the pool (our ideal pool plan is geometric so the back is one straight line with a raised spa in one corner). We were told this would divert the water away from the patio.

I'm not sure which story I buy...it seems like adding 240 sf more decking (plus removing our existing paver stones) is just profit-minded, but I can't fathom how a retaining wall at the BACK of the pool would do much of anything and that is an extra cost, too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cbink

3) with the 6" raised beam at the back is the only one that makes sense to me. It would stop rain water from your yard running straight into your pool every time it rains. Otherwise your yard with the slope is going to direct water into your pool. Raising the decking isn't going to stop that and seems a bit unnecessary.

Hopefully someone else will chip in too.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Newbie Hot Tub Owner - Questions On Chemicals
Hello, I am a first time hot tub owner and I'm in the...
gil_happy
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
Well, the Big Dig did not begin Monday. Our PB stopped...
suzfromtexas
Owner Builder Process - Full Backyard - San Diego
After years of research, we finally pulled the trigger...
David Peace
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
Sponsored Products
Elleridge 7" Wide Tiffany Style Glass Mini Pendant Light
$99.98 | Lamps Plus
NewAge Products Performance Series 14-piece Cabinet Set
Overstock.com
Grohe Geneva Volume Control Trim with Lever Handle - Starlight Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Two-Piece Mr. & Mrs. Double Old-Fashioned Set
$50.00 | Horchow
Kraus KBU12-KPF2160-SD20 Single Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink with Faucet Multic
$429.95 | Hayneedle
New Veg Dyed Mint Green Oriental Chobi 5' Round Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H3839
BH Sun Inc
Blue Quatrefoil Merida Hand-Tufted Wool Rug
$34.99 | zulily
Highpointe Vintage Steel Two Light Ceiling Fan
$349.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™