Any experience or familiarity with Irish Water Spaniels?

sue36December 1, 2009

I have been considering adding a dog to our fur family (we have two cats). Unfortunately, I am allergic to most dogs. I don't want to abandon this idea, so I have been researching my options. Haired (rather than furred) dogs are not hypoallergenic, but I am less allergic to them. I've been researching the dogs on the "haired" list. I love Standard Poodles, DH not so much. Portugese Water Dogs are out. I am all too familiar with what happened to Dalmations after 101 and 102 came out. We prefer a medium to large dog. The Irish Water Spaniel might be an option, but they are pretty rare and information is hard to come by. I don't know if I've ever seen one. Going to a dog show isn't an option (I can't test my allergy when there are furred dogs around to taint the test), so I plan to contact the only breeder (that I am aware of) within a 6 hours drive and hope she will humor me. But before I do this, I want to learn as much as I can preferably from people with hands on experience (owners, vets, pet sitters and walkers). PLEASE, if you can give me any insight into this breed, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mazer415

My suggestion. Go spend some serious time with a local breeder of any dog breed you are interested in. My neighbors kid was highly allergic to our dogs, after 2 years of constant exposure and a ready dose of benedryl, she has completely outgrown her allergy and now owns two dogs. HOWEVER, some people can get worse with time. SO please put yourself in the environment of the dogs first, spend time with them hanging out with them for a couple of months at least before you adopt. Giving a dog back can be heart break for you and hard on a dog. Good luck

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 5:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36

Unfortunately there are no breeders near me. From what I've determined the closest one is about 3 hours away, and I'm not sure they are still active. There are only 125 puppies registered every year (compared to 60k Goldens). I wouldn't get a dog if I was allergic to it. I know I won't outgrow the allergy, I'm over 40 and have had allergies since I was 6. Thanks for the suggestions, I was just hoping someone had hands on experience with their personality.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
Let's see your beloved pets
We need some happy posts on this forum, so let's see...
pamghatten
Need some advice regarding my neighbor's dogs.......kinda long....
She has 3 dogs - 12 yr old Collie (some arthritis issues),...
kitasmommie
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
Bentley & Olivia
olivia has settled in so well with a flawless transition,...
Ninapearl
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Parrot Tray
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Peppermint Patty & Marcie Salt & Pepper Shakers
$14.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting Wall Mounted Imperial Collection Antique Bronze 1-Light Wall
Home Depot
Kenroy Home Wall Mounted Carrington 1-Light Medium Black Lantern 91902BL
Home Depot
Serena & Lily Peridot Fabric
Serena & Lily