Show me your undercounter refrigeration

Circus PeanutMarch 11, 2013

I am moving along, albeit slightly slowly, on the design for my newest old kitchen. Because of the extreme limitations of our wallspace, we are considering using alternate forms of refrigeration and putting our full fridge/freezer in the (adjoining and easily accessed) basement or back hallway. An architect friends has drawn up some good plans, but the most workable variations would depend on finding a good undercounter beast.

Can you share photos of your undercounter fridges, drawers, hoppers ... whatever is currently out there, and how you like it? If we went with this, ideally we'd find "normal" refrigeration rather than relying on specialty beverage coolers and wine larders -- we may need to go commercial on this if we can find something quiet enough.

Leaning towards glass or panelled doors for the aesthetics; glass preferable.

Needing inspiration. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beaglesdoitbetter1

We have subzero fridge and freezer drawers. I love them but they are for ice cream and drinks. I do not feel they would be practical as the only refrigeration solution in a kitchen (and I don't cook). I would not be happy with a kitchen that didn't have a full size fridge/freezer even if there was one in an adjacent room.

That said, here are ours:

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 16:54

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 4:53PM
taggie

Here is ours, a Jenn Air. Like beagles', it has 2 sections ... although not as pretty as hers with the glass cover and white sides. Fairly quiet, a decent workhorse.

But, like beagles, I also feel it would be unworkable as the sole refrigeration in a kitchen. We use it for milk and berries and ice and other coffee station / smoothie fixings. As a main fridge, not a hope. Interior usable space fridge space is 19" wide. I can't imagine a single 19" deep drawer for milk, produce, and other daily use stuff.

Even just as a produce drawer alone it would drive me nuts ... the depth alone makes in impractical. I have 2 x 27" wide 9" deep drawers for produce in my regular fridge, love that they keep fruits and veggies at their proper humidity and that said fruits and veggies aren't all piled up on each other in a jumble. Could not do that with a drawer fridge, let alone store the other things I'd want handy to a prep zone.

My $.02 only, and worth what you paid for it. :) Good luck whatever way you decide to go.

This post was edited by taggie on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 18:42

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:40PM
ljwrar

We used a 24" all refrigerator and a built in under counter freezer. Here is the freezer.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Large cove moulding?
I am looking for large cove moulding. I can't find...
brodyt
Quartz or Dekton/Neolith?
I know all about the wonders of quartz countertops...
nadianyc
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
Need advice on how to remodel this corner of kitchen
Hi all Just purchased a home and does not have budget...
strikeraj
Kitchen design assistance - Small kitchen
I have a 12x13 foot kitchen with way too many entry...
schuste1
Sponsored Products
Digital Alarm Clock Radio - Black - Braun
$100.00 | HORNE
Madison Park Athena Shower Curtain
$24.99 | zulily
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Bath Mat: Accent Rug: Garland Rugs Finest Luxury Chili
$56.97 | Home Depot
Troy Lighting Ranier Modern Contempo Chandelier
1800Lighting
Elementem | Empire State - B&W Wall Art
YLiving.com