Best toilet for non clogging

kidhornNovember 19, 2009

The toilet in my kids bathroom clogs about once a month. The main problem is my kids diet, but I get tired of trying to make them eat raisin bran and am looking for a new toilet.

The existing toilet is a piece of junk that came with the house 20 years ago. My hunch is it probably cost $39.

I want to get a toilet that is resistant to clogging. I don't really care about having to flush twice, etc... . The problem isn't toilet paper. It's large hard droppings that can only be unclogged by drilling a hole an auger.

Within reason, cost is no object. Although I would prefer to spend less.

I'll be installing it myself and would prefer something that is pretty straight forward to install.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Almost all toilets install the same and simply. This question periodically comes up on this forum and there are a number of threads about it (just use the search function at the top of the page). Over the last 3 years, I replaced three crappy (sorry about that) toilets with Totos, and have gone from weekly unclogging to never. I believe the least expensive Toto is the Toto Drake which goes for about $250. There are other good brands out there, but I'm happy with my Totos.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 1:21PM
paul21

I haven't had ongoing clogging problems, however I have an older, Kohler product that clogs from time to time. It's a regular flush not low flow and was fairly expensive at the time, about $250 Can 15-18 years ago. We replaced the other 2 toilets recently with American Standard Cadet 3 low flow units and we are extremely pleased. The way these units are engineered , they could suck a golf ball thru a garden hose ( just kidding ). Good luck with the replacement.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 6:15AM
dave_mn

2 words.....Toto Drake
You wont be disappointed

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 1:32PM
janedibber

ditto on the drake....or any toilet using that flushing mechanism

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 9:49AM
faucetman886

I feel that at times my teenage son could have clogged an outhouse. We have 2 Toto ultramax (a little more expensive than the Drake) and have yet to glog one. I can't recommend them more highly.

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 10:24AM
thull

We have Totos. But I'd take a look at the CUWCC MaP Test results to help make your decision. Toto led the way early on (the Drake really does work well), but others have gotten a clue and caught up.

The appendix tables sorted by mfr are what you want for a smaller download. Unless you're interested in reading/seeing about the whole test setup.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA Urban Water Conservation Council MaP Testing

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™