Water Softener Plumbing Question

nochinsNovember 16, 2012

I currently have a 1 inch copper watar incoming supply line that was reduced to 3/4 pipe(elbow reducers on in and out flow and fittings at the Culligan bypass valve). I am planning to replace my broken 25 year old Culligan Mark 27 softener and my question is, Should I change the copper pipe back to accept 1 inch bypass valve when I buy a new softener,(Is this a better plumbing setup)? Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

Usually plumbing dimensions are chosen based on the mathematics of the demand so assume yours was. If you are replacing the softener then a return to 1" will, at least, keep the supply and return consistent with the plumbing.

You will also want to choose a softener with a control valve sized for 1" internally (IE: Clack WS1 or Fleck 7000 instead of a Fleck 5600 or 2510) to keep things consistent.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 12:44PM
nochins

Sorry for a new thread, Is this a correct plumbing installation to incorporate a 3-way ball valve bypass(as suggested by justalurker)? Also, Is the return side plumbing correct with the tee and shutoff valve to prevent backflow when the softener is bypassed? Thanks, I am a DIY with some limited skills.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:52AM
justalurker

The correct supply and return orientation is determined by the supply and return on the control valve.

Do it this way (using 1/4 turn quality full bore ball valves not gate valves as in the second pic) and eliminate the 2-way ball shut-off valve on the LH side in your picture...

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 1:08PM
justalurker

Please ignore "not gate valves as in the second pic" from my previous post as the illustrations do show 1/4 turn ball valves

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:40PM
nochins

Thank you justalurker for your help and expertise!

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:33PM
CigarLover

Hello Noch,
Spend the money & purchase 3 high-quality full-bore brass valves (No Lead). Lurk & Alice know what they are talking about with setting-up water softeners. I could not be happier with the new softener we just installed they specd out for me. I had my plumber buddy sweat-in 3 of these valves & they work perfect.

It gives you the ability to close-off the softener anytime for any reason & still have constant water flow to your home. Depending on if you go with 3/4" or 1" they come in both sizes, $15-$20 each. I am not a fan of HD, not sure if you have one close by? But they had some really nice ones that I bought for the job.

If you are not well versed with prepping/sweating copper, hire a good plumber to do it for you & you can supply the valves so you know they are correct/high-quality. It will not take much time if he is a PRO. You will not regret doing your softener this way.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
rantontoo
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Sponsored Products
Eon Square Weathered Stone Table Fountain
Lamps Plus
Black One-Light 23-Inch Outdoor Wall Mount
$207.10 | Bellacor
Allister Deck-Mount Tub Faucet, Hand Shower, Supplies, Drain for Threaded Pipe
Signature Hardware
Hudson Reed Kubix Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve
Hudson Reed
Lights Up | Flight Floor Lamp
$286.00 | YLighting