Year old dog still going to the bathroom during the night.

jessica09December 7, 2009

IÂm in need of suggestions. I have an almost year old female cockapoo who is about 20 pounds. I thought she was completely house trained till the other night when I spent the night at my boyfriendÂs house and woke up in the morning to two piles of poop (luckily it was on the tile floor). That night though, I did get up with her twice to take her out. One time she did go pee, but the other time she wanted to play. At my house I have a dog door, so she takes advantage of that during the night. At my boyfriendÂs house, he does not. I am looking for suggestions on how to train her to make it through the night, especially in places where she does not have access to the outdoors. If you suggest crate training her, any suggestions on the whining that comes with it? Please help me train her so that it is a pleasurable experience to take her places overnight and trust her! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weed30

It is very typical for housebroken dogs to have accidents in homes other than their own. They simply don't know the rules. I do suggest a crate, and just ignore the whining so she will learn that whining won't get her attention. The crate should be in the bedroom with you, so she can see/hear/smell you which will comfort her. You should still take her out to potty on the same schedule she has at home. I would also take her for an extra long walk in the evening, so she'll be very tired when she is put in the crate for the night.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 9:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pris

She's not doing anything at your boyfriends house that she doesn't do at home. The dif is at home you have accomodated her by providing a doggie door for her to go outside. If you want her to learn to hold it through the night then crate train her. I would start this at home though unless you want her to be traumatized by being put in a crate only at the BF's. If she gets used to it at your house, she won't mind at his. After she has a period of time in the crate at night, try letting her stay out one night and see if she has an accident. (close the DD). If she does then go back to the crate for a few days and try again. When she can go through the night with no accidents then she should be OK.

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
integrating a cat and a dog
i have a male neutered cat. he's been here for many...
randy41_1
Need help from you guys please!!
I think something changed with the forum and I cannot...
ElsasMom
Cat pees in bathtub
Why does he do this. I think it is the only place...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Melinda Night Table - PARCHMENT
$929.00 | Horchow
Wakefield Dark Rattan Table Lamp
$140.60 | Bellacor
Standard Furniture Venetian 2 Piece Panel Bedroom Set w/ Upholstered Headboard i
Beyond Stores
Malibu 48" Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Gray Oak Finish with Blac
Modern Bathroom
Select Luxury E.C.O. All Natural Latex Medium Firm 8-inch Full-size Hybrid Mattr
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Nightsaver Antique Bronze Exterior Lighting Accessory
$14.67 | Home Depot
Stanley Coastal Living Resort Tranquility Isle Night Stand Channel Marker 062-13
$699.98 | Hayneedle
Lightweight Inflatable EZ Bed - Twin
$349.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™