Pool is in, now completing the decking ~ Suggestions?

littlehMarch 23, 2011

Hi all,

We took the plunge last August and decided to rip up our koi pond and install a 38'X21' Flat back kidney pool. Due to weather i was unable to complete it in it's entirety (Ontario Canada) and so i left it to allow settling for this year to complete.

Due to our layout, i had to build up the surrounding area almost 2' to blend in to our existing back deck. I did so by building a 2' high retaining wall with Rosetta Belvedere stone and backfilled inside with 5/8 and stone dust. My plan this Spring is to now deck the top of this backfilled area with either Stamped concrete or Pavers...

In the interest of expediency, i wanted to go with stamped concrete however i just cannot come to grips with the exhorbantly high quotes i am getting back from the contractors in my area.. I can do pavers myself however i do not have the skillset to do concrete... The markup on labour that i have calculated based on going rate for concrete in my area is simply laughable... I can basically cover the area (about 1700 sqft) with mid level pavers for about $6500.00 Concrete would cost about $5100 for the supplies.. Most quotes i am getting to do this space is in the area of $20-27K.... Suffice it to say, i will going with pavers :)

My intent is to cover the complete area less planter areas in each of the back corners and perhaps one up near the East gate....

As i have over 2' of drainage backfill, should i be concerned of pooling? Do you think i need linear drainage installed?

Link to the pool install :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/vwboss/IngroundPoolInstall#

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Given you northern latitude, I strongly urge a compacted base of crusher, about 2 feet deep, six inch lifts. This will allow moisture to drain and any residual moisture to reside below the frost line. This will prevent frost related heaving and waviness. A couple of inches of paver base to set the pavers on and poymetric sand to keep them from wiggling.

Scott

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
Pool Heater cycles on/off incessantly
I have an older Hayward H406 heatmaster heater and...
drkwoods
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™