Repairing PVC sanitary tee?

jamesfjamesfNovember 20, 2012

I know the right answer. Im just curious if I can avoid the hell it will be :-)

While trying to remove the toilet flange so I could put down another layer of subfloor, I reefed on it too hard and cracked the downstream double sanitary tee with side inlet. It's not broken off, so theoretically I'm able to peel it back, prime & glue the crack, and not have to tear the whole thing apart.

Wondering if this is a common repair, absolute insanity, etc. I'll attach a pic. It's the right side hub, cracked where it meets the side inlet hub. Hard to see the crack in the pic but it's a good 270 degrees around. It's the line that doesn't make the 90 degree turn to the eft, that's a casting line.

thanks,

jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

I'm sure there will be some ppl chime in with everything from PVC glue & JB weld to bubble gum but in truth there is no reliable & permant solution other than to remove the broken fitting & replace it.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

In a similar vein, I once tried to glue a vent pipe into a partially sawed off hub w/ PVC cement. That didn't even work. Best thing that happened is that it failed immediately while I was there.

It will probably be easier on the mind once you finally decide to bite the bullet and redo it. Hopefully you have access.

That being said, I do wonder what a few wraps of fiberglass w/ resin would do for PVC on top of a jb weld repair and some bubble gum.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
peoplelover
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™