if pigs could talk

NinapearlDecember 6, 2013

"i stay in warm straw bed, poke my nose out from under blanket, mom brings me food. after i eat, mom gives me a bowl of warm kool-aid. i like grape the best!"

pigs are pretty darn smart, if you ask me!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spedigrees z4VT

It's a tough life but someone's got to live it!

Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 7:48PM
christine1950

They would say "I've got you trained well Maaaa" Is that Arnold I see on the side?
Christine

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 9:10AM
murraysmom Zone 6 OH

That's so funny to hear that they like warm Kool Aid. I never would have guessed that.

They are very smart and so I think they would say "Thank you, Mom, you are the best"!!!

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 1:42PM
Ninapearl

yes, christine, that's arnold. :)

there is actually a method to my madness. my pigs get warm kool-aid after each meal all winter long. on the days i am not working, they get some around noon. this way, i know they are getting plenty to drink. they always have water available but they don't drink as much in the cold months. once or twice a week, they get warm prune juice to keep their innards moving along. a constipated pig is a very unhappy pig! LOL

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 8:57AM
junebug1961

I like grape the best, too! Glad to see your piglets are enjoying the good life this winter. : )

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 8:21PM
murraysmom Zone 6 OH

Was this in a "How to Raise a Happy Pig" manual, or how did you figure this out? It seems perfectly logical, but how did you come up with this idea?

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 10:48AM
socks

How cold does it get where you are? I would think that without fur on their bodies, they would have trouble staying warm. I'm thinking they should have electric blankets. :-)

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 8:37PM
Ninapearl

LOL electric blankets, huh? heck, i don't even have that luxury! it gets plenty cold here, we've had nights down in the single digits but during the winter, i build shelters inside the barn out of straw bales for them. they lay in a 4-pig pile so they stay plenty warm. :)

mm, i actually started giving them warm prune juice (yuck!) during the winter months just to make sure they didn't get constipated. they LOVE it. i figured if they loved prune juice, they'd probably love other flavors so i alternate. it's funny to watch them, they slurp it up until every drop is gone. i know they are getting enough liquid that way even though they also have water that is heated.

on sunny days, even in the coldest temps, they will lay in a pile in the sun just inside the barn entrance.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 11:25PM
murraysmom Zone 6 OH

I love that!! As long as they have alternatives to in and out, the pigs know what they want. They are smart, after all. :) I used to worry about my horse, Teddy, being outside all winter, but he and his buddies love it. They have long hair and cuddle up when they need it. They roll and play in the snow. They are happy!! Just like your pigs!! I think sometimes we forget that they are animals and have what they need to withstand the cold.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 11:19AM
socks

It is amazing that they adapt to the cold temperatures. Those 4-pig piles help a lot.

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 1:44PM
Ninapearl

the only animals i never worried much about were my llamas. their wool kept them warm even in the most bitter temps.

the pigs do fine being outside. the straw in their pig palace is deep enough that they can pretty much bury themselves and you just see little snouts sticking out. :)

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
skunky zoo smell on my cats
We brought our 5 outdoor cats with us when we moved...
ryseryse_2004
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
God & swee' pea got together and sent me this...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Ninapearl/Olivia_zpsqx3k9bjt.jpg this...
Ninapearl
How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
I got a really nice clean looking orthopedic pet bed...
peabody1
I'm new!
Hi every body ! My name adi i am going to buy a dog...
adi003
Sponsored Products
Broccostella 4-piece Bath Accessory Set
Overstock.com
Shower Curtain Artistic - Autumn Birch Tree
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Zephyr 48W in. Tempest II Wall Mounted Range Hood - AK7548BS
Hayneedle
Floral Stained Sea Shell Shade Tiffany Table Light
ParrotUncle
Sea Shell Tiffany Arc Arm Style Table Lamp
ParrotUncle