water filtration system

tim2807November 9, 2010

I recently had a Kinetico water softener, dechlorinator, and drinking water station (K5)installed. My question - do I really need the water station filtration since the softener and dechlorinator seem to address the lousy water taste/smell in Clearwater, FL? I have tried the water from the station spigot and from the regular sink faucet and both virtually taste/smell the same. I have a few more days left on my trial period so I would appreciate all input. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andy_c

The K5 is a reverse osmosis sytem. The quality of water difference will be significant. Tastes are a matter of taste. But softened water, even with a dechlorinator, will contain dissolved solids (TDS) but the RO will remove those TDS to a great degree. A TDS meter will be able tell the difference even if taste is not.

The sales staff should have pointed that out to you.

What model softener did you have installed? What kind of 'trial period' did they give you?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 7:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Your supplier will have a TDS meter with them. They can demonstrate this to you in seconds and explain the benefits. Surprised they didn't do that in the beginning. Agree taste is different for everyone.

I have the same units you do. I don't like the taste of soft water. The K5 fixes that for me.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
Water Softener - Where to start?
I am looking to purchase a water softener given our...
sagosto
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™